Archive for the ‘First batch – unsuccesfull’ Category

Total loss

Friday, October 31st, 2008

After carefull inspection: no larvae have been found alive.

The tank will be cleaned now and restarted with a fresh batch of water. Now we will try to grow a plancton culture before introducing the larvae (like the french aquarist in the linkmenu).

To the rescue!

Wednesday, October 29th, 2008

After a short brainstormsession we have identified the usual suspect: bad waterquality.

Today we have changed 6 liters of water and vowed to change our ways: from now on we will change about 3 liters of water 3 times a week.

The pump is back in commission.

major losses!

Tuesday, October 28th, 2008

It seems like we have lost about 60 % of the larvae.

After disconnecting the pump the larvae appeared less lively as well. I have added a quarter teaspoon of yeast, just in case the are starving.

The salinity is at 10.24 and the temperature has dropped one degree to 23 celsius.

On the heater, some sort of brown residue is visible. I have no clue as to it’s origin.

Too feed or not to feed, that is the question

Sunday, October 26th, 2008

Since the second opinion has refered me to his voicemail, I have decided to feed the larvae today.

This should not come as a surprise as my tendency to overfeeding has been properly demonstrated in the past week.

And for those of you craving details: it was a drop of marine plancton.

Spot the larvae

Saturday, October 25th, 2008


Little tip.. Ignore the bright white spots. And is it me, or are they growing somekind of a tailfin? Or as they seem to swim backwards, more properly called a “tail proppelor”?

Swimming position

Saturday, October 25th, 2008

The first larvae are swimming in a more horizontal position!

Details, we want DETAILS!

Saturday, October 25th, 2008

Right, yesterday’s salinity measurements were: 1.018 before intervention and 1.022 after.

A reliable source confirms some growth.

Salinity surprise

Friday, October 24th, 2008

I got a new salinity meter today (HS Products, with builtin thermometer). Expecting salinity to be high due to evaporation, I was quite surprised: the level was low.

I added 2 liters of water and about 8 tablespoons of salt. The level is now in the lowerhalf of OK. No food for the larvae today, after yesterday’s overfeeding 🙂

I also stocked up on some babyshrimp food, for when the larvae have metamorphed into postlarvae.

The breeding tank

Thursday, October 23rd, 2008

Here you see pictures of the breedingtank. The first few are without the paper, the last are with.

The photo’s

Thursday, October 23rd, 2008

Here are pictures of the large, larvae-eating tank, and what usually goes on there. Also some shots of the battle for the cookie, where the Japonica’s battle the corydora’s for bottomfood are included.